Advice to Ph.d. students
Please find links to a variety of pages with encouraging research information.
Writing and Publishing
- How to Organize your Thesis, by John W. Chinneck.
- Advice to Authors of Extended Abstracts, by William Pugh.
- Hints on good mathematical writing, by David Goss
- A primer on mathematical writing, by Steven L. Kleiman
- How To Have Your Abstract Rejected, by van Leunen and Lipton.
- An Evaluation of the Ninth SOSP Submissions, or, How (and How Not) to Write a Good Systems Paper by Roy Levin and David D. Redell
- Högskoleverkets doktorandhandbok
- How to Get a Paper Accepted at OOPSLA, by Alan Snyder.
- Advice for 1996 POPL submissions.
- Graduate Study in the Computer and Mathematical Sciences: A Survival Manual, by Dianne O'Leary
- How to be a Good Graduate Student/Advisor, by Marie desJardins
- A Letter to Research Students, by Duane A. Bailey
- How to do Research in the MIT AI Lab, ed. David Chapman
- The IUCS Graduate Student Survival Guide.
- How to Give a Good Research Talk, by Simon Peyton Jones et al.
- How to Present a Paper in Theoretical Computer Science, by Ian Parberry.
- Networking on the Network by Phil Agre
- Computer Science Faculty and Research Positions
- The Young Scientists' Network
- CRA Committee on the Status of Women in Research
- Includes a Ph.D. School Information Kit for Women in Computer Science and Engineering
- and the Distributed Mentor Project for female undergraduates.
- ACM SIGMOD academic careers information
Related Topics and Resources
- Information resources for graduate students by Jennifer Myers.
- A Guide for New Referees in Theoretical Computer Science, by Ian Parberry.
- On Being A Scientist: Responsible Conduct In Research, from the National Academy of Sciences
- Papers on women in computer science.
- Includes Why Are There So Few Female Computer Scientists?, by Ellen Spertus.
- Study, Research, and Writing Skills web page from the American Communication Association.
- Information for current and prospective graduate students by Timothy Finin.
- A Guide for Applying to Graduate Schools by Piroz Mohseni.
- Ivan Sutherland, "Technology and Courage," in CMU Computer Science: A 25th Anniversary Commemorative, ed. Richard F. Rashid. ACM Press, 1991.
- Alan Jay Smith, "The task of the referee," IEEE Computer, April 1990, pp. 65-71.
- Dissertation News, published by The Association for Support of Graduate Students.
- Resources for dissertation research (gopher)
- How to cope with "burnout", by Andreas Gehmeyr.
- How to Complete and Survive a Doctoral Dissertation, by David Sternberg. St. Martin's Press, New York. ISBN 0-312-39606-6
- How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life, by Alan Lakein. Signet Books. ISBN 0-451-16772-4
- Procrastination: Why you do it, what to do about it, by Jane Burka and Lenora Yuen. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-55089-X
- How to Have a Bad Career in Research/Academia by David Patterson