Guidelines for applying to a doctoral candidate position
Find an open doctoral candidate position
Find an open Ph.D. position (in Swedish doktorandtjänst) that matches your interests. All open Ph.D. positions are advertised on the web.
If you already have scholarship
Contact one or more of the currently active advisors at the school where you are interested in pursuing your studies (preferably someone whose research interests are similar to yours) and ask him/her to be your advisor. You may also try to find one or more secondary advisors. A secondary advisor may be a person outside BTH, either from another university or from industry.
For furher information about potential advisors, please contact doctoral candidate-coordinator Niklas Lavesson.
Make an individual study plan
Together with the advisor you should make an individual study plan for the whole duration of your Ph.D. studies. This plan should contain:
- Planned degree of activity, e.g., 80% Ph.D. studies and 20% teaching or other departmental work.
- A time plan for the complete Ph.D. studies.
- Planned financial form, e.g., Ph.D. position (in swedish doktorandtjänst).
- A plan of the courses to be included course part. (Of course, it is impossible for you to know exactly what courses will constitute the course part. Just make the course plan as specific as possible!)
- A short description of the planned thesis topic.
- The names of your secondary advisors.
Fill in the application form
The official application form is available on the web.
The form is in Swedish and you may therefore need to ask your advisor to help you.
Hand in the form to the head of the school (in Swedish sektionschefen). You should attach:
- A proof of your Bachelor or Master degree (in Swedish examensbevis) in either English or Swedish (or any other nordic language)
- The individual study plan, which should be signed by both you and your advisor.
The head of the school will then, together with the advisor, judge whether the means for financing your studies are sufficient or not. If they are, the head of department makes a financial plan and hands it over, together with the application, to the faculty dean who will make the final decision whether to accept you to the Ph.D. studies or not. You will be notified about the final decision as soon as possible.