Process of Task Analysis
1. Identify Tasks: Observation, interview, analysis documents and business activities
2. Select task scenarios: sample from real representative business process.
3. Analyse and model tasks: by GOMS model, HTA.
4. Describe task context: work environment, social/interpersonal task context, constraints or pressure, errors made, organisation types (dynamic, stable, market, production, services..
5. Identify subtasks requiring computer support: manual(Unstructured task), interaction(semi-structured tasks), automatic (well structured). Also consider what is the benefit for using computer, and cost/benefit analysis.
6. Express scenarios as actions on user objects: what concrete objects involved, attributes used, relation types.
7. Validate task model and scenarios: task performers check, observing other scenarios, ask managers, and other operators.
Sources: Redmond-Pyle, D. (1995) Graphical User Interface Design and Evaluation, Prentice Hall, London.