I did my PhD at the faculty of Computing and Engineering at the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland, UK. My PhDs focus was on strengthening steganography in digital images. My thesis, completed in 2009, was a worthwhile contribution to knowledge in the subject area and also produced two successful international patent applications. I have in records 21 international, peer reviewed, Journal papers, 27 peer reviewed international conference papers, 3 patents, a book and a book chapter (invited). I was awarded a research grant from University of Ulsters Innovation centre worth £7,430 and Invest NI & European Regional Development Fund worth £77074.20.
My research interests lie at the intersection of Image processing, Computer vision, Information security, Medical sciences and biology (e.g., 3D reconstruction, Optical projection tomography, Steganography, Medical image analysis, Quantitative imaging bio-markers, Pattern localisation and recognition, Characterization and validation of imaging bio-markers, Evaluation of the association between image-based phenotypes and genomic biomarkers, Algorithms for the computer-guided analysis of multi-dimensional microscopy-data sets), Computational support for tissue-related target/ biomarker discovery, development and analysis.
At BTH, I am participating in a large research project, Scalable resource-efficient systems for big data analytics, where close research collaboration with industry is key for the project execution. I will invest my expertise in image processing into rather a larger project that focuses on Big Data, for more info Click here . More specifically, I will be working on Research theme B: Big data analytics for image processing. The research profile, Scalable resource-efficient systems for big data analytics, combines existing expertise in machine learning, data mining, and computer engineering to create new knowledge in the area of scalable resource-efficient systems for big data analytics. The value of the new knowledge will be demonstrated and evaluated in two application areas (decision support systems and image processing).
Multimedia Security, Computer Vision (e. g., pattern recognition) and Medical Image Processing
- BSc (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia), final year project's title: Automated Pattern Recognition System.
- MSc (Johor, Malaysia), thesis title: Face Localization and Feature Extraction Based on Voronoi Diagram and Delaunay Triangulations.
- PhD Research Theme (Londonderry, UK): Strengthening Steganography in Digital Images. Awarded with a distinction.
- 2007- 09- (20-21): Vision Video and Graphics (VVG) EPSRC Summer School. I won one of the student bursaries to attend the event. URL: http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/VVGschool/
- 2012-07- (4-13): Summer School on Medical Image Processing 2012 (SSIP12). Vienna, Austria from. URL: http://sites.google.com/site/ssip2012/
Prior Work Experience
- Researcher (Institutionen för medicinsk epidemiologi och biostatistik, Karolinska Institutet): Enhancing mammography density measures for risk prediction of breast cancer via salient mammographic image features.
- Postdoc (Umeå centrum för molekylär medicin, Umeå Universitet): Improving the quality of 3D reconstruction of Optical Projection Tomography (OPT) projection data of ex-vivo stained samples extracted from healthy and diabetic mice.
Teaching/Supervision at BTH
- Maskininlärning - Machine Learning - (MSc) DV2542
- Datastrukturer o alg Data Structure and Algorithms- (BSc, B.Eng) DV1549
- Masterarbete i datavetenskap Master thesis in computer science- (MSc) DV2566
- Examensarbete för civilingenjörer- Degree Project in Master of Science in Engineering- TE2501
- Inledande programmering i Java - Initial Programming in Java- DV1453/DV1487/ DV1498/ DV1559
- Granted on 11 December 2014: Application Number 13125799, An Encryption Method University of Ulster, United Kingdom.
- Granted on 12 Nov 2013: Application Number 20110299771, Method for Skin Tone Detection University of Ulster, United Kingdom.
- 6 January 2014: Delivered a talk entitled: Digital Image Steganography at the Laboratoire dInformatique et de Mathématiques, University of Laghouat, Algeria.
- 23-23 November 2016: Invited as a keynote speaker at the 1st Mediterranean Conference on Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence
- Invited Lecture (17 February 2017): Delivered a lecture to PhD students entitled: Digital Image Processing at Umeå University, Sweden. The lecture was a part of the course Bioimaging 1.5 ECTS; 13 - 17 February 2017.
- Co-investigator: Ref. PoP 08/186 (University of Ulster- Innovation centre). Start: 17th December 2008- End: 31st July 2009. Title: Identity Cards Employing Steganography. Award: £7,430. PI: Dr. Joan Condell.
- Co-investigator: Proof of Concept Programme (Invest NI & European Regional Development Fund): Start: October 2009- End: October 2010. Title: Secure Digital Watermarks (SDW): Secure Data Hiding in Image Frames using Steganography. Award: £77074.20. PI: Dr. Joan Condell.
Invited Book Chapters
- A. Cheddad, "Digital Forgery". In Albanese, Jay S., Editor-in-chief, Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice, 2014. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. DOI: 10.1002/9781118517383.wbeccj132
- Ola Spjuth, Andreas Karlsson, Mark Clements, Keith Humphreys, Emma Ivansson, Jim Dowling, Martin Eklund, Alexandra Jauhiainen, Kamila Czene, Henrik Grönberg, Pär Sparén, Fredrik Wiklund, Abbas Cheddad, þorgerður Pálsdóttir, Mattias Rantalainen, Linda Abrahamsson, Erwin Laure, Jan-Eric Litton, and Juni Palmgren. "E-Science technologies in a workflow for personalized medicine using cancer screening as a case study." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 0(0), 2017, 18. Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocx038. Impact Factor: 3.428.
- Cheddad A. "Structure Preserving Binary Image Morphing using Delaunay Triangulation." Pattern Recognition Letters, (2017) 85, pp. 8-14. Elsevier. An official publication of the International Association for Pattern Recognition. Click here.
- Fredrik Strand, Keith Humphreys, Abbas Cheddad, et, al. (2016) "Novel mammographic image features differentiate between interval and screen-detected breast cancer: a case-case study." Breast Cancer Research (2016) 18:100. DOI 10.1186/s13058-016-0761-x. Springer.
- Brik B, Lagraa N, Lakas A and Cheddad A. DDGP: Distributed Data Gathering Protocol for vehicular networks. Vehicular Communications, 4,(2016)15-29. Elsevier.
- Cheddad A, Czene K, Hall P and Humphreys K.(2015). Pectoral muscle attenuation as a marker for breast cancer risk in Full Field Digital Mammography. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention (CEBP), 24(6):985-91. American Association for Cancer Research. PMID: 25870223. Click here.
- Brik B, Lagraa N, Lakas A, Cherroun H and Cheddad A. (2015). ECDGP: Extended Cluster-Based Data Gathering Protocol for Vehicular Networks. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. DOI: 10.1002/wcm.2591.
- Holm J, Humphreys K, Li J, Ploner A, Cheddad A, Eriksson M, Törnberg S, Hall P, Czene K. Risk factors and tumor characteristics of interval cancers by mammographic density. Journal of Clinical Oncology, , 33(9)2015, pp. 1030-1037. PMID: 25646195. Click here.
- Abbas Cheddad, Kamila Czene, Mikael Eriksson, Jingmei Li, Douglas Easton, Per Hall and Keith Humphreys (2014). Area and volumetric density estimation in processed full-field digital mammograms for risk assessment of breast cancer. PLoS One, 9(10)(2014)1-10. Click here.
- Abbas Cheddad, Kamila Czene, John Shepherd, Jingmei Li, Per Hall, Keith Humphreys. Enhancement of mammographic density measures in breast cancer risk prediction. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention (CEBP), 23(7)(2014) 1314-1323. American Association for Cancer Research. PMID: 24722754. Click here. Reviewer's comment: "This manuscript presents an interesting and novel approach to enhance mammographic density assessment from 2-dimensional images. It has been long been considered a weakness that the common assessment methods using film mammograms ignore the third dimension of breast thickness. Therefore, this paper makes a new contribution to the field of mammographic density research..."
- Anna Eriksson, Christoffer Svensson, Andreas Hornblad, Abbas Cheddad, Elena Kostromina, Maria Eriksson, Nils Norlin, Antonello Pileggi, James Sharpe, Fredrik Georgsson, Tomas Alanentalo and Ulf Ahlgren. Near Infrared Optical Projection Tomography for Assessments of β-cell Mass Distribution in Diabetes Research. J. Vis. Exp 2013. (71), e50238. PMID: 23353681.
- Abbas Cheddad, Christoffer Nord, Andreas Hörnblad, Renata Prunskaite-Hyyryläinen, Maria Eriksson, Fredrik Georgsson, Seppo J. Vainio, and Ulf Ahlgren. Improving signal detection in emission optical projection tomography via single source multi-exposure image fusion. Optics Express 2013. 21(14)16584-16604. PMID: 23938510. Selected by the Editors, Andrew Dunn and Anthony Durkin, for publication in a recent issue of the Virtual Journal for Biomedical Optics (VJBO), which is a special feature of OSA's Optics InfoBase, http://vjbo.osa.org/virtual_issue.cfm
- Abbas Cheddad, Christoffer Svensson, James Sharpe, Fredrik Georgsson and Ulf Ahlgren. Image Processing Assisted Algorithms for Optical Projection Tomography. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, January 2012, 31(1)1-15. PMID: 21768046. It was featured "In the news", TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry, Volume 30, Issue 10, Pages v-xi (November 2011) Edited by Janusz Pawliszyn.
- Andreas Hörnblad, Abbas Cheddad and Ulf Ahlgren, An improved protocol for Optical Projection Tomography imaging Reveals Lobular Heterogeneities in Pancreatic Islet and b-Cell Mass Distribution. Islets, 3(4)(2011) 1-5. PMID: 21633198.
- Pratheepan, Y., Condell, J.V., Curran, K., Cheddad, A., Mc Kevitt, P. A Dynamic Threshold Approach for Skin Tone Detection in Color Images. Int. J. Biometrics, 4(1)(2012)38-55. Inderscience.
- Pratheepan, Y., Condell, J.V., Curran, K., Cheddad, A., Mc Kevitt, P., An Improved Self-Embedding Algorithm: Robust Protection against Lossy Compression Attacks in Digital Image Watermarking. Image Processing and Communications, 15(1)(2010) 47-59.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt, A Hash-based Image Encryption Algorithm. Optics Communications, 283(6)(2010) 879-893. Elsevier Science.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt, Digital Image Steganography: Survey and Analyses of Current Methods. Signal Processing 90 (3) (2010) 727-752, Elsevier Science. The most cited article published since 2009 in Signal Processing, Elsevier.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt, Information hiding-enabled data transmission framework. International Journal of Information Studies, 1(3)(2009)159-164.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt, A Skin Tone Detection Algorithm for an Adaptive Approach to Steganography. Signal Processing 89 (12) (2009) 2465-2478, Elsevier Science.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt. A Secure and Improved Self-Embedding Algorithm to Combat Digital Document Forgery. Signal Processing 89 (12) (2009) 2324-2332, Elsevier Science. Special Issue: Visual Information Analysis for Security.
- A. Cheddad, D. Mohamad and A. Abd Manaf. Exploiting Voronoi Diagram Properties in Face Segmentation and Features Extraction. Pattern Recognition 41 (12)(2008) 3842-3859, Elsevier Science.
Refereed Conference Publications
- Cheddad, A. Towards Query by Text Example for Pattern Spotting in Historical Documents. 7th International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (CSIT16), Amman, July 13-14, 2016, IEEE Computer Society.
- Murat, A. et al. (2016). "SceneMaker: Creative technology for digital StoryTelling" In Proc. of the 5th EAI International Conference on ArtsIT, Interactivity & Game Creation (ArtsIT-2016), Aalborg University Esbjerg, Esbjerg, Denmark, May 2-3, 1-8. To appear in the Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering (LNICST), Springer.
- Pratheepan Yogarajah, Joan Condell, Kevin Curran,Paul Mc Kevitt and Abbas Cheddad.(2010) "Video Authentication: A Self Embedding Steganography approach". International Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference, IMVIP'10, 8-10 September 2010, Ireland.
- Yogarajah Pratheepan J. Condell, K. Curran, P. Mc Kevitt and Abbas Cheddad. An Improved Self-Embedding Algorithm: Digital Content Protection against Compression Attacks in Digital Watermarking. 2nd International Conference on Image Processing and Communications, Poland. 20-23 October 2010. Also appears as a monograph by Springer-Verlag in Advances in Soft Computing Series book, Volume 84, Image Processing and Communications Challenges 2, Pages 59-66.
- Pratheepan Yogarajah, Joan Condell, Kevin Curran, Abbas Cheddad and Paul Mc Kevitt, "A dynamic threshold approach for skin segmentation in color images", IEEE International Conference on Image Processing , ICIP 2010, Hong Kong, 26-29 Sept. 2010, pp: 2225-2228.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt. Towards Objectifying Information Hiding. IEEE 35th International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP). 14-19 March 2010, pp. 1770-1773. Dallas, USA.
- A. Cheddad, Condell, J.V., Curran, K.J., McKevitt, P.,A New Colour Space for Skin Tone Detection. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2009. 7-10 Nov. 2009, pp. 497 - 500. IEEE Signal Processing Society. Egypt.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt, Data Hiding Tools for Digital Forensic Experts, In: Proceedings of Digital Forensics, Security and Law, May 20-22, 2009, Burlington, Vermont, USA, ISSN: 1931-7379, ADFSL (Association of Digital Forensics, Security and Law), pp: 111-113.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt, A New Digital Image Security Strategy: Steganoflage. 15th International Symposium on Electronic Art (ISEA 2009), 23rd August - 1st September 2009, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 2009.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt. Steganoflage- A Novel Approach to Image Steganography. The 8th International Conference on Information Technology and Telecommunication IT&T 2008, Doctoral Symposium, Galway Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway, Ireland 23rd-24th October 2008, pp:191-194.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt. On Points Geometry for Fast Digital Image Segmentation. The 8th International Conference on Information Technology and Telecommunication IT&T 2008, Galway Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway, Ireland 23rd-24th October 2008, pp: 54-61. Best paper award. Awarded by IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology). Certificate and a prize of 300.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt. Combating Digital Document Forgery using New Secure Information Hiding Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Digital Information Management, University of East London, UK, 2008.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran and P. Mc Kevitt. Securing Information Content using New Encryption Method and Steganography. In: Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Digital Information Management, University of East London, UK, 2008.
- Curran, K. Condell, J., Cheddad, A., Mc Creadie, K. and Maguire, L.M., Issues of Privacy & Surveillance, In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Technology, Knowledge and Society. 30-Jan to 1-Feb 2009. Huntsville, Alabama, USA.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran & P. Mc Kevitt. (2008). Skin Tone Based Steganography in Video Files Exploiting the YCbCr Colour Space. Proc of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Hannover, Germany. pp.905-909. June 23-26, 2008.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran & P. Mc Kevitt. (2008). "Enhancing Steganography in Digital Images". In the proceedings of the Fifth Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision. Windsor, Ontario, 28-30 May 2008, pp. 326-332.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran & P. Mc Kevitt. (2008). "Biometric Inspired Digital Image Steganography". In the proceedings of the 15th Annual IEEE International Conference and Workshops on the Engineering of Computer-Based Systems (ECBS'08). pp. 159-168. I won a travel grant from LERO; the Irish Software Engineering Research Centre.
- A. Cheddad, J. Condell, K. Curran & P. Mc Kevitt. (2007). "An Adaptive Approach to Steganography in Steganography". IEEE SMC UK&RI 6th Conference on Cybernetic Systems 2007 September 6-7, University College Dublin, Republic of Ireland. pp 11-16.
- A. Cheddad, Joan Condell, Kevin Curran, Paul Mc Kevitt. (2007). "A Comparative Analysis of Steganographic Tools". Proceedings of the Seventh IT&T Conference. Institute of Technology Blanchardstown, Dublin, Ireland. 25th- 26th October 2007. pp 29-37.
- A. Cheddad, R.A. Badlishah, NESROBOT: A 3 in 1 Vision System Algorithm for Robot Navigation. International Conference on Man-Machine Systems -ICOMMS2006, Langkawi Islands, Malaysia 15th - 16th September 2006.
- A. Cheddad, H. Setan and Z. Majid, Disparity Map Calculation Through Epipolar Lines Estimation for 3D Facial Reconstruction. International Symposium and Exhibition on Geo-information (ISG) 2005, Penang, Malaysia 27-29 September 2005, p 44-53.
- A.M. Zeki, A. Farshid Ghyasi, M.S. Zakaria, Maram Mujahid, Norazlina Zainul, A. Cheddad and M. Zubayr, Design and Implementation of a Voronoi Diagrams Generator using Java . International Arab Conference on Information Technology, 12-15 Dec 2004, Algeria.
- A. Cheddad, D. Mohamad and A.A. Manaf, A Novel Method for Face Segmentation and Face Features Extraction based on Voronoi Diagram. International Arab Conference on Information Technology, 12-15 Dec 2004, Algeria.
- A. Cheddad, N. Zainul and M. Mujahid, Developing and Testing Online Survey Instrument, Second Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium (RENTAS 2004), Malaysia: Nov 24-25, 2004.
- D. Mohamad, A. Cheddad and A.A. Manaf, "A New Algorithm for Face Location and Face Features Extraction based on Voronoi Diagram and Parametric Contour". IEEE International Conference on Information & Communication Technologies: From Theory to Applications. Damascus. Syria: April 19 - 23, 2004.
- A. Cheddad, D. Mohamad and A.A. Manaf, An Efficient Hybrid Algorithm for Face Features Extraction Based on Contour linearization and Voronoi Diagram. Panitia Seminar Nasional Informatika 2004-SNI2004 Program Studi Teknik Informatika. Universitas Ahmad Dahlan, Indonesia.
- A.Cheddad and A.M. Zeki, Template Matching and its Industrial Applications. Proceedings of the 19thInternational Conference on CAD/CAM, Robotics and Factories of the Future. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia: Tuesday, 22nd July 2003.
Academic honors, awards and prizes
- Scholarship award (Bachelor of Information Systems)
- Dean List Award for high academic performance during BSc (earned twice)
- Fellowship award from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (Msc degree).
- Vice Chancellor's Research Studentship from University of Ulster for PhD degree.
- Best Transfer Report of the Faculty of Computing and Engineering (2007). Award given by the University of Ulster in collaboration with McGraw-Hill to 2nd year PhD students. Hilton Hotel on 03-04-2008.
- Best paper award at the 8th International Conference on Information Technology and Telecommunication (2008). The award was given by IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology). Galway, GMIT, Ireland on 24-October-2008
- 25K Award for New Entrepreneurs (best project in the high-tech category), sponsored by the Northern Ireland Science Park (NISP), 24th Sept 2009.
- Best PhD thesis award of the Faculty of Computing and Engineering (2009). The award was in the form of a trophy and £300.
- IEEE Society and IEEE Communication Society membership
- Swedish Society for Automated Image Analysis membership
- Swedish Bioimaging membership
- Swedish e.Science Research Centre (SERC) http://www.e-science.se/users/abbascheddad
- NATURVETARNA: Swedish Association of Professional Scientists
- A member of the International Association of Science and Technology for Development (IASTED), Technical Committee on Image Processing and on Biomedical Engineering
International Advisory Appointments- Reviewer
- Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Signal Processing Society.
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, IEEE Signal Processing Society.
- Signal Processing, Elsevier Science.
- Signal Processing: Image Communication, Elsevier Science.
- Digital Signal Processing, Elsevier Science.
- Journal of Systems and Software, Elsevier Science.
- Information Sciences, Elsevier Science.
- Signal Image and Video Processing, Springer.
- Pattern Recognition Letters, Elsevier.
Other Advisory Appointments (Conferences PC and others)
See my CV in the Links' section above.