Wireless Networks ET1312 (ET1207)
(Wireless Networks; An ovrview ET1207; The lectures for ET1207 and ET1312 are the same but with a different laboratory course)
The course is given for the programme: Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
Credit units: 7,5 ECTS
Level: C, 41-60 units
Subject: Electrical Engineering (Elektroteknik)
Study term: Lp3,V4-V12,schedule 2009
Place: Wämö Center (landstingssalen), Karlskrona
Exams: The main exam is on 2009-03-xx, please see the students portal or the teachers portal for the following exam dates.
The purpose of the course is to give a good insight in the significance that wireless systems and the mobility have on the construction and handling of a data or telecommunication network,and also give an overview of present technologies. The problem approach includes both the transmission and network aspects of communication systems.
Short introduction to transmission and networks.
Antennas and propagation, pathloss and multipath propagation, spread spectrum system and satellite communication.
Overview of current systems for cellular networks, wireless LANs, mobile IP, IEEE 802.15, IEEE802.11 and IEEE 802.16 standards, diversity schemes, handover strategies, link budget calculations.
Computer demos will be showed to understand different concepts in the area.
Main course book
Wireless Communications and Networks, 2:nd edition.
Copyright 2005, 600 pp.
The course reading material consists of:
- The main textbook
- Chapter 3, especially 3.4-3.7 from Ahlin, Zander: Principles of Wireless Communications
- Extended reading materials on Handoff for Chapter 10
- Laboratory project instructions
- Lecture notes on white board during the lecture
- Leture powerpoint notes (uploaded to the website after each lecture)
Book reading suggestions and Lecure notes
Remember throughout the reading to try to see the general ideas, to understand relationships, to see how to derive and calculate results. Don't memorize different tables and lists and formats.
Course Introduction (pdf notes 20090119)
Chapter 1: all (pdf notes 20090119)
Chapter 2: all (pdf notes 20090119)
Chapter 3: all (p.63-67: scan only,study notes)
Chapter 4: all (study notes)
Chapter 5: all
Chapter 6: all
Chapter 7: all
Chapter 8: none
Chapter 9: all
Chapter 10: all
Chapter 11: all but 11.3
Chapter 12: all (p.407-423 skip details)
Chapter 13: all
Chapter 14: all
Chapter 15: all (don't go into the details at p. 493-519, try to see the concept instead)
Some chapters has an Appendix. The theory in these appendices is not directly included in the course, but sometimes needed for the understanding of the chapter.
Messages from teacher
- 2009-01-23: The website will not be updated after the second lecture on 27 Jan 2009. Please apply to be enrolled in its learning at Its learning.
- 2009-01-23: You can register the free practice (free option) and instructed lab (compulsory) from the second lecture on Tuesday, Week 5. The group is restricted to be maximally 2 students. You need to register in the lecture.
- 2009-01-21: The first lecture notes are uploaded. Its learning will be used in ET1312 after the second lecture in week5. More informatin about its learning will be given in the second lecture.
- 2009-01-19: The first lecture for this course is on Monday January 19 at 08.00-12.00 in room "Landstingssalen", at "Wämö Center" in Karlskrona, which is located near the hospital and just across the street from the bus stop and small train station at Bergåsa.
- 2009-01-19: It is important that you attend at least the first lecture since there will be course information about the lectures and the labs.
The course ET1312 contains one compulsory laboratory project, giving one 1.5hp when students pass the lab (the written exam gives 6 hp).
The laboratory projects will first be presented at a lecture occasion, and thereafter students can practice in the computer lab reserved in specific dates.
Note that there are some exercises that you are supposed to solve before the lab in the computer room.
The laboratory exercise is (pdf files with password):
1. Fading In Wireless Communication System
Some files are needed in Lab 1 regarding the Weibull distribution. They are put together in the file weibullfiles.zip and can be downloaded here.
Researved time for lab practice.
1 A free practice lab is booked on Feb 20, 2009 from 0800 to 1700 in Room 2414.
2 The instructed lab is booked on Feb 27, 2009 from 0800 to 1700 in Room 2414.
Matlab related links
- Very basic Matlab commands are shown here (Univ. of UTAH).
- Some basic Matlab commands are also shown here (Univ. of Michigan).
- Mathworks own support page.
- J. Thomas King Matlab related links.
- Hamburg University Matlab files ftp page.
- New: Chalmers Matlab links (some general and some image processing links), with link to some tutorials.
- A link to the free (GNU licence) program package The Octave home page, which is often compatible with Matlab.