about the Master's Programme in European Spatial Planning

Questions about... 

The Programme and Courses
Application and Admission
Scholarships, Costs and Funding

About the Programme

"Is the programme an on-line programme? Is it a distance learning programme that I can follow from my home country?"
- No. The European Spatial Planning and Regional Development programme is a campus-based programme and you will have to be present in Karlskrona at Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH). At the moment it is not possible to follow the programme on-line or as a distance learning course/programme.

"I was thinking about applying to the programme but would like more information about the courses, or the thesis. What should I do?"
- Contact us with your questions and we will do our best to advise you and send you more information. The thesis constitutes 50% of the programme and students have a lot of freedom to choose a topic of their interest (provided it is relevant to the programme). If you are a prospective student and already have a thesis idea and would like to discuss this with us - contact us at europeanplanning@bth.se and ask to be put in touch with an appropriate senior member of staff or thesis supervisor for further discussion and advice.

"On which campus will I be studying?"
- In Karlskrona.

"How many students will be admitted to the programme?"
- We estimate to admit a maximum of 35 students.

About Eligibility

"I will not finish my degree until the summer, right before start of the programme. Can I still apply?" or
"I have graduated, but will not get my degree certificate until after 15 January. Am I still eligible? Can I still apply?"
- You are welcome to apply to the programme. However, to be admitted to the programme, you will need a bachelor's degree. You will therefore not be formally admitted to the programme, or receive an admissions letter, until you have obtained your fist/bachelor's degree and sent copies of it to us. This, in turn will make it difficult for students from countries where visa application times are long ( - since you need an admissions letter to apply for the visa). However, for students from countries who do not need visas (EU / EES / Switzerland) or from countries where application times are faster (incl. US and Canada) the late receipt of an admissions letter should cause no or few problems.

Students who have not yet had their degree certificates (or not yet graduated) are strongly advised to contact us on europeanplanning@bth.se first to explain and discuss their circumstances. If/when you apply, you will also need to send us a document from the university that states when you are scheduled to finish your degree, which degree you will be receiving as well as a transcript of the courses you have finished so far.

"I am looking for exchange programmes. Can I come to study on your programme as an exchange or ERASMUS / SOCRATES student?"
- We generally welcome qualified exchange students who are on the higher levels of their current studies. EU and accession countries' students (ERASMUS / SOCRATES students) are advised to read on our Erasmus information page for further details. If you are a student at a non-European university and would like to visit us as an exchange student, please contact us on europeanplanning@bth.se to discuss the matter.

Erasmus information

"I am a Swedish student/Nordic student? Am I eligible? Can I apply to the international Master's programme?"
- Yes, of course. The programme is open to students from all over the world, including Sweden and the Nordic countries. The programme is given in English, but at the same unit (department) as the Swedish-language programme in Spatial Planning ("Teknologie masterexamen i Fysisk Planering") and the English-language programme in Urban Design. Furthermore, the programme entitles Swedish students (or qualifying students with a permanent residence in Sweden) to apply for study aid (grant and loan) from the government (CSN).

"Is my degree relevant to be admitted to the programme?"
- See our Eligibility page for more information. The programme in European Spatial Planning and Regional Development at BTH is open to applicants with a first degree in a range of subjects. Your degree can for example include a substantial number of courses in one or more of the following subject areas (provided they can be seen as related to spatial planning and the European context):
- planning, architecture, urban design
- economics, business administration, law
- social sciences, sociology, geography
- environmental science, environmental policy, environmental
- development studies, international studies
If you have a 'pure' Science degree (chemistry, biology, medicine, physics and so on), or a degree in, for example accounting or business administration, you should be able to show that you have taken courses, or have gained experience in, issues that relate to the aims and contents of the European Spatial Planning and Regional Development programme.
You are also eligible if you have a degree in any discipline and documented work experience clearly relevant to European spatial planning and regional development.

Eligibility information webpage

"I am not from Europe, am I eligible / can I apply?"
- Yes, of course. The programme is open to everyone who fulfils the academic requirements, regardless of nationality, ethnicity or origin.

"I already have a Master's degree/PhD/Higher degree - can I still apply to the European Spatial Planning nd Regional Development programme? Am I eligible?"
- Yes, the minimum requirement is a Bachelor's degree.

About Application and Admission

"When can I apply to the programme?"

- The application form is available on-line between 1 December and 15 January annually. See the Application website for more information. . You apply through the website www.studera.nu.

"Will it be enough to apply on-line? Do I need to complete a paper application form as well?"
- You do NOT need to complete a paper application form as well. However after you have applied on-line you MUST send certified (paper) copies of your university transcripts, degrees and English language certificates. See the application website (www.studera.nu) for details.

"Do I need to send letters of reference to you?"
- No. Instead, we recommend that you send a CV where you give the names and contact details (including e-mails) of two referees whom we can contact directly from BTH if we need to get additional information about your previous academic and/or verify your professional performance and qualifications. However, this is not a formal requirement, it may simply assist us in assessing your application.

"I have a degree from a non-English speaking country, but from a university where the language of tuition was English. Do I still need to send in my TOEFL/IELTS results?"
- Degrees from certain universities where the language of tuition is English will be enough to satisfy our English language requirements. Since this does not apply to all universities we suggest you also send us certified copies of your English language test results. If your native language/mother tongue is English you can prove this by for example sending us certified copies of your high school/sixth form/college/upper secondary school grades.

"What happens after I have applied using the on-line application form?"
- We can only start looking at your application once we have received your certified paper copies of your documents. When we have received them, your degree qualification and English language skills will be assessed by a central organisation in Sweden. We need to be certain that your qualifications are genuine and from an accredited university (or similar) and that you have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent).
All applicants' documents that meet the criteria mentioned above will then be sent to the us at the department where we will look at your degree subject and see if it is relevant and eligible for the European Spatial Planning programme. We will rank the applicants according to merit if necessary.  Please note that if you do not send your certified documents to the address specified on www.studera.nu we cannot start considering your application. A complete application consists of the online application PLUS your paper documents.

"I need a paper application form."
- The application will have to be made on-line on www.studera.nu We can no longer accept applications directly to BTH using paper forms.


Scholarships, Costs and Funding

"Are there internship opportunities available at BTH to cover my living costs in Sweden?"
- No, at the Swedish School of Planning we do not have internships. However, we try to find unpaid/paid internships for our graduates (alumni) and are working actively with future employers to help graduates with their careers. Students are actively encouraged and supported to search for internships where they can write part of their Master's thesis.

"Is it possible to work whilst studying on the European Spatial Planning and Regional Development programme? What are the job opportunities in Karlskrona or Blekinge?"
- The programme is a full-time study programme and therefore we would strongly advise against working at the same time as studying on the programme. Furthermore, Blekinge is a small region, and Karlskrona is (by international standards) a small town; part-time employment opportunities are therefore limited for those who do not speak Swedish.

"I have been admitted to the programme - have I also received funding/a scholarship from/through BTH?"
- Unfortunately not, unless you have also received information from the Swedish Institute (SI) or from BTH's central administration about scholarships. There are very few SI scholarships available and all applicants are strongly advised to consider their funding arrangements prior to applying to BTH. Admission to the European Spatial Planning programme does not automatically mean that you have received funding as well. You should note that the competition for any potential scholarships is much tougher than the competition for places on BTH programmes.

"What does it cost?"
- There are no tuition fees at BTH for EU/EEA students. Students from outside of the EU/EEA will have to pay tuition fees. Please see further information about fees and application fees on the studera.nu (application website). Currently fees for non-EU/EEA students are 100 000 SEK per year. All students will also need sufficient funds to cover their own living expenses (travel, accommodation, living expenses, course literature, and so on). If you need a visa to Sweden, you will need to prove to the Swedish Migration Board (www.migrationsverket.se) that you will have SEK 7300 per month during your studies (i.e. 10 months). You can read more on the Migration Board website - and you should also note that SEK 7300 per month is a farily realistic minimum you will need to be able to live and survive in Sweden.

Swedish Migration Board (www.migrationsverket.se)

"Is there funding available?"
- We suggest that you visit our Scholarships and Funding website for more information and ideas. An extremely limited number of scholarships may exist through the Swedish Institute (SI), and/or other organisations in Sweden or abroad. You should not rely solely on receiving an SI scholarship since there are very few of these available. Instead we advise you to search for scholarships, funding or grants on the internet, or contact your local study advisor/councellor (or similar).

Scholarships and Funding

"I am a late applicant - applying after the deadline of 15 January. Can I also apply for a Swedish Institute scholarship?"
- Unfortunately not. A shortlist of qualified applicants is forwarded to the Swedish Institute in the spring, and late applicants can therefore not be considered for a scholarship.


"Will BTH be able to help me with accommodation in Karlskrona?"
- Yes, together with the municipal housing company, Karlskronahem, BTH can offer assistance to international students who are admitted to the Master's programmes at BTH. Normally all international students who apply in time are offered housing. See the International Office's website for more information. Students who are admitted to the programme will receive further information about housing together with their admission letter. The "Karlskronahem" municipal housing company's website (below) will also give useful information for prospective students looking for accommodation in Karlskrona.

International Office Website
Karlskronahem (www.karlskronahem.se)



"I did not receive my Swedish visa in time (although I applied for it as soon as I got my admissions letter) - can I defer my admission and start the following year instead?"
- You can apply for deferment of admission. See more information on the Deferment information page.

Deferment information

"What is the BTH programme code of the European Spatial Planning programme?"
- The code is ERAES, and the application code for start in the autumn term 2010 is  ERAESHT11.

Feel free to send further questions to europeanplanning@bth.se.

The European Spatial Planning Programme is arranged by Blekinge Institute of Technology in collaboration with Nordregio Academy

Share Share