Vacancies at BTH

Welcome to us at BTH!

Blekinge Institute of Technology, BTH, has a distinctive focus on the digitalisation of society and sustainability.

Characteristic of BTH is the close cooperation with industry and the community which permeates both education and research at a regional, national and international level.

We stand for quality and innovative thinking and we want to be experienced as an open, exciting and creative higher education institution. Despite its smallness, BTH has a large amount of research. What characterizes research at BTH is that it is applied, that is, the research is carried out to seek new knowledge with specific applications in sight.

Our strength lies in how we work as a small and independent higher education institution. We can and need to be open to changes, fast in taking measures, bold in breaking patterns and slow in complaining about external circumstances. We cannot rest on our old laurels but must prove that a young higher education institution with a strategic mode of operation can deliver high quality in areas of concern.

Our employees are an important part as we give our students valuable knowledge and an exciting study period and as we as a higher education institution need to contribute to solutions to the challenges in society.

Vacancies at BTH

Live and work in Sweden

Here you will find short information about good things to know when you are new to Sweden and Karlskrona. We recommend you to visit the website “Information om Sverige”. This portal is for anyone who is new to Sweden and wants to find information about Swedish society quickly and easily.

Swedish Tax agency (Skatteverket)
The Swedish Tax Agency manages civil registration of private individuals and collects taxes such as personal income tax, corporate tax, VAT and excise tax.

Living or working in Sweden often means registering and paying taxes on salary and other income. If you live in Sweden you are liable to pay income tax on all incomes.

On the Swedish Tax Agencies website you can read more about moving, living or working in Sweden.

The Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket)
The Migration Agency is the authority which considers applications from people who want to visit, live in or seek asylum in Sweden, or who want to become Swedish citizens.

Working in Sweden
In order to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit. Read more about how to apply for a work permit or for a residence permit as a self-employed person or a visiting researcher.

Studying in Sweden
In order to study in Sweden, you must have a residence permit. Read more about how to apply for a permit for studies or to work as a doctoral student.

Swedish migration agencies website you can read more about work- and residence permit.

Social insurance system (Försäkringskassan)
When you work in Sweden, your employer is required to pay social security contributions for the work you perform here. This means that you are covered by the Swedish social insurance system, which entitles you to benefits, for example in case of sickness.

More information may be found at Försäkringskassans website.

Personal injury insurance for doctoral students and employees
All registered doctoral students and employees at BTH are covered by personal injury insurance during study/work hours and when travelling directly between the place of residence and the place where study/work hours are spent.

For university employees there is also a complementary personal injury insurance called PSA (Personal Injury Agreement, personskadeavtal). The insurance company AFA pays compensation under the PSA for loss of income, expenses, and physical and mental suffering. More information here.

Open a bank account
If your stay in Sweden is more than 6 month we recommend you to open a bank account.

Documents that the bank require:
• Valid passport (if you stay less than 1 year)
Swedish ID-card (mandatory if you stay more than 1 year)
• Certificate of employment
• Details of address in Sweden
• A coordination number or a Swedish personal identity number

When you open a bank account you can get a debit card and Internet- and Telephone- services linked to your account (mobilt bank-ID). The cheapest way to pay bills is through the banks’ payment services, which are available online. Five Swedish banks have offices in Karlskrona and Karlshamn:


In Sweden there are different types of housing. You can rent or buy a flat. You can rent or buy a house. Read more about accommodation at “Information om Sverige”.

More information about accommodation in Karlskrona is available at Karlskrona municipality website.

Childcare and school

Childcare is a collective name for educational activities for younger children. Childcare encompasses such activities as preschools, family day nurseries and after-school recreation centres. Children can be there while their parents are working or studying.

There is municipal childcare in all municipalities. There are also independent and private childcare facilities that are run by companies or organizations. Children aged between one and five have a right to attend preschool or family day nursery. If you are a job-seeker or taking parental leave with younger siblings, the older child has a right to about three hours of childcare per day, or 15 hours per week. Read more about childcare at “Information om Sverige”.

Karlskrona municipality has a well-developed early childhood education for children aged 1-5 years. Read more on Karlskrona municipality website.

School attendance is compulsory in Sweden. It applies to nine-year comprehensive school, and means that you have a right to education there. It also means that you have to participate in what the school organizes. Read more about school at “Information om Sverige”.

All children, between the ages of 6-15, are given a place in a nearby school, known as home school, but you as a parent can search for a place at another school. Read more about school in Karlskrona on the Karlskrona municipality’s website.

Since 2019 Karlskrona has an international primary school. The primary school will follow an international curriculum and all teaching will be conducted in English. Read more about the IB school here.

Medical care
In general, Sweden’s health and medical care holds to a high standard. All residents – or individuals with a personal identity number – will be subsidized by the state when receiving health and medical care, regardless of whether it is a visit to a doctor or a dentist.

Read more about the healthcare system in Sweden here.

Read more about dental care in Sweden here.