FAQ COVID-19 for admitted Master’s students

COVID-19 information for admitted Master's students

We understand that the decision to move to another country to start a Master’s programme can be challenging due to the COVID-19 pandemic. BTH is taking responsibility for the safety of our students and staff. A number of measurements are taken and we follow the current recommendations of the Swedish Public Health Authority.

We would like you to feel safe to start your desired Master’s prorgamme and are providing information about the situation in Sweden and at BTH.

We collected some Q&A on COVID-19 for you below. Our staff is also available for questions in our virtual open house webinars or in a chat: BTH | Guidance programme.

Current Situation at BTH

How does COVID-19 affect studying in Sweden? 

You may find official information and the latest updates on the COVID-19 pandemic for Sweden via Krisinformation.se (emgergency information from Swedish authorities).

Furthermore, we recommend the webpage from our network “Study in Sweden” for collected information on the situation in Sweden: COVID-19 (studyinsweden.se)

How is BTH handling the COVID-19 pandemic?

BTH takes the safety for our students and staff very seriously. A number of measures have been made to keep a safe campus and are based on recommendations from the Public Health Authority.


Will the Master’s programme I am admitted to be on-campus in the autumn semester 2021?

The teaching of study period 1, the first half of the autumn semester 2021, takes place in a mixed form on campus and digitally, depending on the number of students (study period 1:  2021-08-31 – 2021-11-01). For international programmes, digital education will be offered as complement to any campus-based teaching. The MSLS programme will be on-campus with complemented digital sessions according to the current requirements/measurements due to COVID-19.

BTH is planning that all education will be offered on campus from study period 2 (2021-11-02 – 2022-01-17).

According to the Swedish Migration Agency, it will not be a problem for students to arrive a little later in the semester (eg if you choose to come in October), but in order to get a residence permit you have to have the purpose to come to Sweden. If you have more questions regarding the residence permit, the Swedish Migration Agency has a frequently updated Q&A page available on-line.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, changes might occur for certain programmes, if the circumstances require it. In this case we will work on solutions and keep our admitted students informed.

Due to the COVID-19 situation, I will not be able to arrive on time, will I loose my study place?

It is very important that you follow the instructions in the Welcome letter if you are not be able to arrive on time.

I have been admitted but have no intention to start my studies due to the COVID-19 outbreak, what can I do?

If you no longer wish to start your studies you should cancel your admission at University Admissions. You should also notify us on admissions@bth.se so that your  study place can be offered to someone on the waiting list.

Can I defer and start my studies in spring 2022?

Most international programmes at Blekinge Institute of Technology only start once every year, in autumn (late August/early September). This means that it will not be possible to defer to spring studies.

Residence permit & travelling

How does the COVID-19 pandemic affects my application for a residence permit?

The Swedisch Migration Office provides an updated and detailed Q&A page: Frequently asked questions about studying and researching in Sweden – Swedish Migration Agency (migrationsverket.se).

Will I be able to get a residence permit for studies?

The Swedish Migration Agency has not changed its policies with regards to international students applying for a residence permit for studies in Sweden. This means that students are expected to continue to fulfil the requirements set by the Swedish Migration Agency.

When should I apply for a residence permit if I intend to come to BTH?

Normally you cannot apply for a residence permit for studies earlier than 6 months before the semester starts. Applications that are made more than 6 months ahead will be denied.

Are there any travel restrictions to Sweden?

Yes, currently there are travel restrictions and travel bans, for example Non-EU/EEA citizens are not allowed to enter Sweden at the moment. The travel ban does not apply if you have a residence permit for studies in Sweden. 

Furthermore, all travellers must show a negative COVID-19 test before entering Sweden. The entry requirements differ for entries from other EU/EEA countries (incl. Norway and Denmark) and from non-EEA* countries (incl. the UK). Anyway, there are exemptions from these requirements, such as for residence permit holders, we recommend to check the official and updated homepage of the Swedish Police Authority (polisen.se)and of the Swedish Government.

Since the Copenhagen airport in Denmark is the closest airport in order to get to BTH in Karlskrona, can I still fly to and from this airport? 

The Copenhagen Airport is recommending to check the frequently updated homepage for all questions regarding entering Denmark: Entry into Denmark (coronasmitte.dk)

The Swedish Police Authority updated the restrictions for entering Sweden from Denmark (for example while arriving to Copenhagen Airport) on 31st March 2021, please see the new restrictions via: Frequently asked questions | The Swedish Police Authority (polisen.se)

Payments and refunds (for non-EU/EEA students)

Is it possible to pay the tuition fee later to see if the COVID-19 situation improves?    

No, this is not possible unfortunately. It is necessary to pay the tuition fee in time, by 15 May at the latest.

Due to the uncertain situation, is it possible to pay smaller tuition fee installments now and not pay for the full semester?

You will have to pay the tuition fee in full. Please find information on how to pay your tuition fee on the page how to pay your tuition fee.

Will I be reimbursed if the programme/course is cancelled?

The tuition fee will be fully repaid if the course or programme you have been admitted to is no longer offered.

Will the tuition fee be repaid if my application for a residence permit in Sweden is rejected?

You might be entitled to a refund. The terms for reimbursement is decided by the vice-chancellor of BTH and is available to read in full in our webpage BTH | Tuition fees, under the headline “refund of the tuition fee”. Here you also find information on how to apply for refund.

Health & insurances

Will I have access to health care in Sweden and will it be possible to get a COVID-19 vaccine?

If you are a non-EU/EEA student who is required to pay tuition fees for your studies at Blekinge Institute of Technology, you are covered by a special insurance provided by Kammarkollegiet. If you are staying in Sweden for more than one year, you receive a Swedish “personal ID-number” which entitles you to have access to the national healthcare system.

Regarding the COVID-19 vaccine, you will have access to the vaccine according to the vaccination plan for Sweden. If you are a new student who has just arrived in Sweden you can make an appointment here in the Blekinge Region to receive your first dose if you haven’t yet received one. You can also make an appointment for the second dose here in the Blekinge Region. Bring some kind of verification that you have received the first dose. Please, call a health care centre to make your appointment. The health care centre closest to BTH’s campus in Karlskrona is “Wämö vårdcentral”. Call +46 455 73 54 30. Telephone hours: 07:30-16:30 Monday-Friday. N.B: The EU Digital COVID Certificate can only be issued to persons with a Swedish social security number.

Read more about COVID-19 vaccines and vaccination at krisinformation.se

Will I be insured as a student at BTH if I am participating in distance education?

The Kammarkollegiet´s insurances will apply as usual if you choose to participate in distance education but are living in Sweden. Students are not covered by Kammarkollegiet’s insurances if they are in other countries than Sweden even if they participate in distance studies at a Swedish university. Please read more at Kammarkollegiet’s website.

Students who pay tuition fees

Individual insurance