Practical information

Practical Information

Cost of living

Please note that when applying for a residence permit, you must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that you will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies. The amount, SEK 8 010 per month for ten months of the year, is set by the Swedish Migration Board.

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. A sample monthly budget is as follows:

Food: SEK 2 000
Accommodation: SEK 3 750
Local travel: SEK 560
Telephone/internet: SEK 300
Insurance, medical care and hygiene: SEK 300
Hobby/leisure, miscellaneous: SEK 1 100

Total: SEK 8 010

Combining studies and work

Full-time studies in Sweden correspond approximately to a 40-hour week. If you don´t have lectures or seminars you are supposed to spend your time reading and working on group projects and other assignments. Combining studies with work is not a good choice.

Bank Account

Only students with a Swedish personal identity number are entitled to open a Swedish bank account. The Student Union is responsible for assistance in opening accounts. Send your inquiry to: More contact information and opening hours may be found on the Student Union website.

Students staying at BTH less than 12 months will not have the possibility to open a Swedish bank account. These students must have a VISA/Mastercard/Travel Card from their home countries and/or have the possibility to use the internet transaction services through their home bank accounts in order to make payments in Sweden. It is also possible to send and receive a money order through the Western Union Bank offices.

Because of the transaction and conversion fees involved in frequent international transactions, students in this situation should be prepared to handle their expenses in cash. The Forex office allows international customers to open a limited savings account. They also provide a service for the payment of bills using cash, but take an administrative fee for doing so.

Please contact

National Registration

Students staying in Sweden 12 months or longer are entitled to national registration and will be assigned a Swedish personal identity number. This registration is done at the local office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) in Karlskrona. Note that you should register at the Tax Agency as soon as possible after the starting date of your residence permit. You must bring your passport and letter of admission and you must have an address in Sweden before you apply. The national registration gives you access to health care in Sweden at the same cost as Swedish citizens.