The department of Mechanical Engineering, within the School of Engineering, is a unit that has been at the core of BTH since the start. The department is active in research, education and collaboration, and is a specialized unit with in-depth knowledge.
Our work is focused on activities that build product development competence and support the development of innovative, sustainable products for the future sustainability society.
We work in high degree accordingly to Blekinge Institute of Technologys profile applied IT and innovation for sustainable growth and in our lab have modern equipment and systems to support product development, prototyping and visualization.
We gather our efforts under the flag of Product Development Research Lab
Some events in the Department of Mechanical Engineerings history worth mention:
- 2012: Recieves Knowledge Foundation Profile grant to build strong research environment at BTH
- 2012: The Department of Strategic Sustainable Development is succesfully created as a spin-off from the department.
- 2010: The new master's Programme in Sustainable Product-Service Systems Innovation begins successfully.
- 2005: Mechanical Engineerings two first Ph.D exams
- 2004: The new master's Programme in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability begins successfully.
- 2003: A new master´s programme in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability was approved.
- 2003: The two first licentiate of technology where examined at the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- 2002: Civilingenjörsutbildning (a master programme) in Mechanical Engineering was approved
- 2001: The department got its own research area in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2001: Our first fulltime professor was appointed.
- 2001: Two licentiate of technology, supervised at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, where examined.
- 2000: The three year education programme in Virtual product development and design started
- 2000: Our first associate professor (docent) was appointed.
- 1997: The first PhD student began working at the department.
- 1996: Our master programme in Structural mechanics started.
- 1993: The three year education programme in Product development started.