Practical information

Practical Information

Cost of living

Like everywhere, living costs in Sweden depend on your personal lifestyle and where you live. For information about cost of living in Sweden see Study in Sweden.
At this website you can find several tips to save money as well as other useful information.

Combining studies and work

Full-time studies in Sweden correspond approximately to a 40-hour week. If you don´t have lectures or seminars you are supposed to spend your time reading and working on group projects and other assignments. Combining studies with work is not a good choice.

Bank Account

Only students with a Swedish personal identity number are able to open a Swedish bank account. The Student Union can provide with more information on how to open a bank account. Please visit You can also contact them on if you run into problems but we recommend that you read closely on the website first. More contact information and opening hours may be found on the Student Union website.

Students staying at BTH less than 12 months will not have the possibility to open a Swedish bank account. These students must have a VISA/Mastercard/Travel Card from their home countries and/or have the possibility to use the internet transaction services through their home bank accounts in order to make payments in Sweden. It is also possible to send and receive a money order through the Western Union Bank offices.

Because of the transaction and conversion fees involved in frequent international transactions, students in this situation should be prepared to handle their expenses in cash. The Forex office allows international customers to open a limited savings account. They also provide a service for the payment of bills using cash, but take an administrative fee for doing so.

National Registration

Students staying in Sweden 12 months or longer are entitled to national registration and will be assigned a Swedish personal identity number. This registration is done at the local office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) in Karlskrona. Note that you should register at the Tax Agency as soon as possible after the starting date of your residence permit. You must bring your passport and letter of admission and you must have an address in Sweden before you apply. The national registration gives you access to health care in Sweden at the same cost as Swedish citizens.


Insurance for students

Health insurance : non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a non-EU/EEA student who is required to pay tuition fees for your studies at Blekinge Institute of Technology, you are covered by a special insurance provided by Kammarkollegiet.

Health insurance : nordic and EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen of any of the Nordic or EU/EEA countries you have access to public medical services if you register beforehand at a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European Health Insurance card.

You need to bring the card with you when seeking medical attention in Sweden. If you do not have the card with you, you may have to pay the whole treatment by yourself. In order to be able to claim back the money you have paid, you should always ask for a written diagnosis including a stamp, of the physician or hospital.

If you are not covered by any insurance mentioned above and you are studying within an agreement, please contact International Office.

If you are a free mover please contact

Do you have a question? Type it here and we will get back to you as soon as possible!