Department of Mechanical Engineering, Room J3410
Marco Bertoni - Bio
I am Professor in Mechanical Engineering and Deputy Head of the Department for the Mechanical Engineering subject. I am a member of the Design Society, and I co-chair the Special Interest Group in ‘Design of Product-Service Systems’.
I graduated in Management Engineering at the University of Bergamo (UniBG) in Italy in 2004, and I earned a Doctoral Degree in Mechanical Engineering at Politecnico of Milano (PoliMI) in 2008. The same year I joined Luleå University of Technology as a postdoctoral fellow, becoming Associate Professor (Docent) in Product Innovation in 2012. Since April 2013, I have worked at the Blekinge Institute of Technology.
My research focuses on model-driven decision-making for product/service design. I have experience with:
- Methods and tools for engineering product design, design thinking and need-finding techniques.
- Computer-Aided Design, Computer-Aided Engineering and Computer-Aided Innovation tools.
- Enterprise Collaboration, Knowledge Management and Knowledge Engineering approach.
- Process modelling and simulations using a Discrete Event approach.
- Digital Twin technologies and Extended Realities for system design.
- Systems Engineering and requirements elicitation practices.
- Multi-Attribute Decision Making models for design concept selection.
- Monetary assessment models for investment analysis (cost/value models).
- Business Process Reengineering and associated models for process representation.
I am a member of the Scientific Committee for:
- International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED)
- International CAD Conference (CAD)
- International Conference on Research into Design (ICORD)
- International DESIGN conference
- ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE)
- International Conference Advances in Production Management Systems (APMS)
My experience as a course coordinator includes the following:
- Kunskapsformedlingen P53: Product Service Systems
- BTH: Value Innovation (2013 – current)
- BTH: Knowledge Enabled Engineering (2016 – current)
- BTH: Innovative and Sustainable Product Development – Innovativ och hållbar produktutveckling (2022 – current)
- BTH: Product Service Systems Extreme Innovation (2013)
- BTH: Design Research Methodology (2013)
- LTU: Product Development processes (2009-2010)
- LTU: Theory and methodology for engineering product development (2009-2010)
- POLIMI: Process modelling in product development (2008)
I am currently Deputy Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Departmental Coordinator for the ERASMUS + agreement with the University of Bergamo (UniBG).
Awards and recognitions
- ‘Service Lion’ award at the CIRP IPSS conference 2011.
- Nominated by Luleå University of Technology for the Tage-Erlander Prize 2011.
- Finalist at ForskarGrandPrix 2013 in Stockholm.
- Best Reviewer’ at the CIRP IPSS Conference 2016.
- ‘10% Reviewer Favourite’ at the International Conference on Engineering Design 2017.
- ‘5% Reviewer Favourite’ at the International DESIGN Conference 2021.