Stand-alone Courses in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability
Fall Semester 2023
(Click on the respective course name to get to a more extensive description at BTH.se)
The purpose of the course is for the student to:
• develop knowledge about and understanding of society’s sustainability challenges and the basic reasons for these.
• develop knowledge about and understanding of a structuring and coordinating methodology for strategic sustainable development, including its scientific foundations.
• develop skills in applying the methodology and in utilizing it in relation to commonly cited concepts, methods and tools of relevance to Strategic Sustainable Development.
• develop skills in presenting and academic writing.
The course aims to develop the student’s knowledge and understanding of current energy and transport systems, their sustainability consequences, and how they can be transformed strategically to sustainability.
The purpose of the course is for the student to develop in-depth knowledge and understanding of methodology for strategic sustainability transitioning in organizations.
Building on their knowledge and skills from previous courses, students will learn how to (1) perform sustainability analysis in product development and (2) generate ideas for improvement based on the analysis. They will learn (3) advantages and disadvantages of various approaches to the above and (4) how to integrate these approaches into concept development. Competence in sustainable product development is in demand in industry and society. The course develops theoretical understanding and applied skills at the intersection of two of BTH’s areas of expertise – sustainability and product development.
Spring Semester 2024
The course aims to provide basic and broad knowledge in the field of environmental management. Based on an interdisciplinary holistic integrated in a practical way, ecological, and economic aspects of the tools that can be used such as eco products, environmental accounting, and environmental management throughout. The course aims to teach how to create conditions for sustainable development, for example by increasing eco-efficiency (better sparing with resources) via the management system.
The purpose of the course is for the student to
- develop knowledge about and understanding of society’s sustainability challenges and the basic reasons for these.
- develop knowledge about and understanding of a structuring and coordinating methodology for strategic sustainable development, including its scientific foundations.
- develop skills in applying the methodology and in utilizing it in relation to commonly cited concepts, methods and tools of relevance to Strategic Sustainable Development.
- develop skills in presenting and academic writing
The course aims to, as a support for further university studies, provide insight into sustainable development, which includes an understanding of what sustainability challenges society has and how and by whom these can addressed. The course also aims to provide knowledge of the basics of academic information search and a certain ability to search for, evaluate and use information in higher education studies, especially in connection with sustainable development.
Are you interested in learning how to support behaviour change for sustainability? This is half-time distance course that provides learners with a theoretical grounding in, and practical experience of designing, behaviour change interventions for sustainability. The purpose of educating students in behaviour change for sustainability is to provide organisations and communities with knowledge and skills that are useful for promoting sustainable development. Transitioning towards sustainability is a complex challenge and considering human behaviour is important for succeeding with the transition. The knowledge and skills are applicable in many contexts, such as in commercial or public sector sustainability work, in grass-roots action or in other work seeking to contribute to sustainable development.
The purpose of the course is to develop the student’s knowledge and skills in sustainable product and service system development.
The purpose of the course is to provide organizations with graduates having knowledge and skills that are useful for promoting social sustainability through product and service development. By product and service development we mean development of any type of offering, including physical products, digital products, services, and any mixture of these. Product and service development has a key role for society’s transition towards sustainability and the social dimension of sustainability is currently under-developed in this context. Improved knowledge and skills in how to systematically and strategically integrate also social sustainability aspects in product and service development makes more optimized, whole-systems solutions possible.