Welcome letter Master’s Programme in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability – Autumn-22
Congratulations on your admission!
Welcome to the Master's programme in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability
at Blekinge Institute of Technology!
As awareness of the sustainability challenge grows, we are under no illusion of the enormity of its influence on our future. We believe that society is in need of both a clear, scientifically-based understanding of sustainability and committed, energized leadership. You will find that the title of the programme – strategic leadership towards sustainability – speaks directly to these needs.
The programme is now entering its eighteenth year. It was co-founded by Dr. Göran Broman (Professor at BTH) and Dr. Karl-Henrik Robèrt (Professor at BTH, Blue Planet Award laureate and Founder of The Natural Step) and is an invitation to early- to mid-career professionals from around the world to share experiences and build understanding and ability to act as change agents. The diversity of the class, your expertise and global perspectives are what give it life. Much of the learning will in fact come from your peers.
Below you will find additional information about planning to study in Sweden. Please make sure to check out our websites (www.bth.se/msls and http://www.msls.se/) for what to expect from the upcoming academic year and information about your future colleagues. Over the coming months we will update them with information relevant to the incoming class.
Please note, to keep your place on the programme, you must fulfil the steps in the section below: “Procedure to join the programme”. The mandatory course registration on-line will open 29 July and close 8 August. Roll call will take place 29 August. 4 September is the absolute last day for your arrival at BTH.
The MSLS programme runs a mandatory orientation week that begins the week before, on 22 August, and a closing week from 5-9 June, 2023. We also highly recommend planning to arrive even earlier in August. If you cannot arrive before the programme starts, you must notify the programme manager, Merlina Missimer.
Dear sustanability colleague, we hope and look forward to welcoming you to the MSLS programme and Karlskrona in August 2022!
Procedure to join the programme
To keep your place on the programme, you need to fulfil the steps below.
1. Tuition fee
Non-EU/EEA students are required to pay tuition fee for the studies. Visit our tuition fee page for terms and conditions for fee–paying students.
2. Activate student account
You can activate your student account when you receive an e-mail from BTH regarding student account. More information and link to activation is available in the Student Portal – Get started. If you have not received an e-mail regarding student account one week before the registration period closes, please contact the IT Helpdesk.
3. Register for the courses
You must register for the courses to keep your place on the programme. Register in Ladok for students, instructions are in the Student portal – Get started. You can find the registration periods here. If you cannot carry out the registration yourself, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Mandatory programme roll call and programme information
Participating in the roll call is mandatory. If you do not participate in the roll call, or report planned absence to the programme manager, your admission will be terminated.
Preparing for your studies at BTH
To make your journey to Karlskrona as comfortable as possible, we offer the following advice.
1. Review www.bth.se/msls and www.msls.se for what to expect from the year. As the programme is offered full-time, you should expect a work-load comparable to that of a standard 40-hour work week. Please see our website for more information on course content, the MSLS alumni, and tips from the current class for how to make the most out of your upcoming year! Also, a facebook group has been set up for your incoming class by current students, so that you may get to know each other and ask questions. You can find the group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/980566299331703.
2. Apply for your visa as soon as possible. If you require a visa to study in Sweden, you should apply for it immediately. Be aware that the Swedish migration office, along with many other services in Sweden, will be closed or offering reduced services during the summer holiday period (June-August).
3. Plan your upcoming trip. If you do not have accommodation organised before you arrive we recommend that you arrive one to two weeks before orientation week to organize this. The week will be an opportunity to begin getting to know your colleagues and prepare for classes as well as a time where we run workshops which lay the foundation for the rest of the year. Please organize your travel, so that you can participate in this first week. Scheduled classes will begin on 29 August 2022 with the roll call and run until mid-June 2023, ending with a graduation ceremony typically within a week of end of the semester. Additionally, in past years, students have found the need or the desire to stay in Sweden for some weeks after the programme concludes for extended study or travel purposes. We therefore recommend that you request a 12-month visa, if possible.
4. Review the Arrival Guide on our website. As you look forward to August, you will no doubt have many things to consider in your preparations. An Arrival Guide prepared by the past classes and tailored to the MSLS class can be found at the website http://wearemsls.weebly.com/. Please also check BTH´s English website Newly admitted students for a practical guide on arriving and getting settled in Karlskrona.
5. Additional Costs. You are required to purchase the Sustainability Handbook which is the textbook we will be using throughout the programme. Please order it as soon as possible. You can find it online on Amazon (paperback only), on Bokus.com or Studentlitteratur.se (paperback and e-book format). If you decide to buy it via Bokus.com here is a manual for how to purchase it as the website is only available in Swedish. All the other required readings will be available on Canvas.
In past years we have also undertaken a field trip as a class. The fieldtrip usually requires about 2000 SEK.
Equipment and digital tools
The online learning management system Canvas is used by all programmes and courses. You can access a Canvas course page when you have activated your student account and registered for the course. In Canvas you can find course information and, for example, lecture notes, assignments, discussion forums, and more.
As a student at BTH, you have access to the e-meeting service Zoom. Using Zoom, you can meet and collaborate with your teachers and classmates. You can find more detailed information about Canvas and installation instructions for Zoom here.
BTH require all students to use their own computer in their studies. If your programme has specific requirements for hardware or software you can find them here. If your education is online, you also need access to a web- or built-in camera, headset with microphone, and internet connection.
Programme and courses
Courses during the initial semester:
Strategic Sustainable Development , 12,5 credits Period: 2022-August-29 until 2022-October-30 Kurskod: SL2533
Leading in Complexity , 10 credits Period: 2022-August-29 until 2023-June-04 Kurskod: SL2534
Innovation for Sustainability , 5 credits Period: 2022-October-31 until 2022-December-04 Kurskod: SL2540
Research Methodology for Sustainability , 5 credits Period: 2022-October-31 until 2023-April-30 Kurskod: SL2537
Strategic Planning for Sustainability , 7,5 credits Period: 2022-October-31 until 2023-February-12 Kurskod: SL2550
At BTH, we work to ensure that all new students find their place, make new friends and feel at home on our campuses in Karlskrona and Karlshamn. “Preppen” is a form of introduction programme that we offer to all new students, read more about Preppen in the Student portal.
- Get started with your studies at BTH, visit Newly admitted students
- Information on Visa and residence permit
- BTH has no student accommodations and cannot make reservations for students. Visit Accommodation for more information.
- Find your way to BTH: Maps and premises
- Visit Contact and service in the Student portal for information regarding the library, IT Helpdesk, and student support including study counselling and studying with disabilities.
- If you still have questions after reading the welcome letter and visiting Newly admitted students, please contact email@example.com