Sophie Hallstedt holds an Associate Professorship and a Ph.D. Degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on Sustainable Product Innovation from Blekinge Institute of Technology, Karlskrona, Sweden, a Licentiate Degree in Engineering in Environmental Sciences from Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden. She has industrial experience from the steel industry, biological monitoring area and aero industry.
Sophie Hallstedt is a senior lecturer and associate professor at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development at Blekinge Institute of Technology in Sweden. She leads research in sustainable product development at BTH and runs research projects with manufacturing companies such as Volvo CE and GKN Aerospace. Her research interests include how a strategic sustainability perspective can be integrated and implemented into product innovation process with focus on the early phases. Her research is done in close cooperation with industry and society.
Areas of expertise
- Sustainable Product Development
- Ecodesign and support tools regarding sustainability in product development
- Sustainability integration in early product innovation phases
- Sustainability implementation in product development
- Strategic Sustainable Development
Since 2013, I am leading the research track Sustainable Product Development – Sustainability Integration in Conceptual Design within the profile project at BTH called Model Driven Development and Decision Support.
This research track focuses on how a strategic sustainability perspective can be integrated and implemented into the product innovation process with a focus on the early phases. The purpose is to increase the product developers/engineers ability to make strategic choices and contribute to a more proactive company regarding sustainability issues and make business advantages out of that.
My main research question and profile is about: How a strategic sustainability perspective can be integrated and implemented into product innovation process with focus on the early phases. I have in my research developed generic support tools and methods like Method for Sustainable Product Development (MSPD)1 and Template for Sustainable Product Development (TSPD)2 and tools that combine ecodesign approach with strategic sustainability approach as well as a quantitative part (3). In my research I have also looked into how to implement a strategic sustainabilty perspective in the product development process and within that field I developed a template for decision system (4) and identified key elements (5).
The focus on current and future projects will be to strengthen the support to integrate and implement sustainability on strategic, tactical and operational levels in companies in order to be able to bring forward sustainable innovations, creating competitive advantages and increased value to its customers. Integration and implementation is enhanced with the ability to measure: i) maturity level of sustainability integration and management; ii) sustainability consequences of different solutions, and then; iii) quantify and visualize the progress of sustainability implementation. (6)
Some key references:
- Byggeth S. H., Broman G. and Robèrt K.-H. 2007. A method for sustainable product development based on a modular system of guiding questions. Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 15, issue 1, 1-11
- Ny H., Hallstedt S., Robèrt K.-H. and Broman G. 2008. Introducing templates for sustainable product development through an evaluation case study of televisions at the Matsushita Electric Group. Journal of Industrial Ecology, vol 12, issue 4, 600-623.
- Hallstedt, S., Bertoni M., Isaksson O. Assessing sustainability and value of manufacturing processes: a case in the aerospace industry.” Journal of Cleaner Production 108 (2015): 169-182.
- Hallstedt S., Ny H., Robèrt K.-H. and Broman G. 2010. An approach to assessing sustainability integration in strategic decision systems. Journal of Cleaner Production. 18 (2010) 703–712.
- Hallstedt S. Thompson A., Lindahl P. 2013, Key Elements for Implementing a Strategic Sustainability Perspective in the Product Innovation Process. Journal of Cleaner Production 51(2013) 277-288.
- Hallstedt S. 2017 Sustainability Criteria and Sustainability Compliance Index for Decision Support in Product Development, Journal of Cleaner Production 140(2017) 251–266.
- Hallstedt I. S. and Isaksson O. (accepted for publication) Material criticality assessment in early phases of sustainable product development. Journal of Cleaner Production. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.05.085